Director of Clinical Services
Apartment Community of Our Lady of the Snows
The Director of Clinical Services (DCS)/DON is a registered nurse who is responsible for planning, organizing, designing, administering, directing, and overseeing all nursing operations in the Dammert and St. Francis Centers at The Apartment Community in accordance with all federal, state, and local standards and guidelines that govern this facility. The DCS is authorized to act on behalf of The Apartment Community President and Vice President in their absence, and is delegated with the administrative authority, accountability, and responsibility necessary for carrying out their assigned duties.
Administrative Responsibilities: Oversee all administrative responsibilities to enable effective and efficient nursing functions in Dammert and St. Francis that meet and exceed resident expectations and that all nursing activities are compliant with all federal, state, and local standards and guidelines that govern these facilities.
- Delegation: Has authority to delegate tasks, activities, and duties to staff.
- HI-PO Leaders: Identify high potential future leaders within Dammert and St. Francis and recruit, reward, and retain them in order to cultivate their potential.
- Talent Acquisition: Participates in the talent recruitment and selection process (when needed) for all Dammert and St. Francis staff.
- Staffing: Monitors staffing ratios at all times.
- Employee Files: In collaboration with Human Resources, keep employee files organized and up-to-date.
- Staff Onboarding: Facilitating on-site orientation for all new hires.
- Nursing Performance Reviews: Leads nursing performance reviews on an annual basis (or as needed).
- Professional Communicator: Professional and prompt responses to any and all inquiries from team members, residents, family members, and any other Apartment Community stakeholders.
- Leadership Notification: Informing Apartment Community leadership of critical situations.
- Exhibit Leadership: Ability to guide, mentor, coach team members when needed.
- Positive Communicator: Works collaboratively with all Apartment Community stakeholders and maintains a positive communication style.
- Financial Awareness: Responsible for cost containment in all areas of nursing services including personnel, equipment, supplies, and physical infrastructure by working with Apartment Community leadership.
- Collaborative Role: Accountable for all additional duties assigned from The Apartment Community President and Vice President.
- Health Care Services: Responsible for designing and implementing all services related to resident health care.
- Resident Move In/Move Out: Responsible for designing and implementing all services related to resident move in and move out, including matching residents to the appropriate level of care.
- Patient Care Plan Oversight: Ensures that resident care plans are designed and implanted correctly and with the appropriate health care experts.
- Clinical Work: Engages the residents and staff on a daily basis to ensure high quality communication, staff motivation, and high quality resident service.
- Mission: Acts in accordance with the mission, vision, and values.
- Strategic Vision: Acquires an in-depth understanding of Dammert and St. Francis’ successes and challenges and create a strategic vision for future development.
- Quality Assurance: Formally rotates throughout Dammert and St. Francis to ensure all work shifts are meeting minimum standards of excellence and regulatory guidelines.
- Department Analysis: Review key metrics on a monthly basis and provide feedback on this information to the nursing staff.
- Staff Meetings: Facilitate all-staff meetings as needed and according to state guidelines (IDPH).
- Scheduling: Apply consistent scheduling templates/methods to maintain an effective and equitable staff schedule.
- Professional Development: Lead educational workshops related to industry norms, trends, and skill development opportunities.
- Discipline: Hold all staff accountable to disciplinary standards.
- Documentation: Responsible for all medical and record documentation and ensures records are kept according to all federal, state, and local guidelines and regulations.
- On-Call: Serve Dammert and St. Francis in an on-call capacity.
- Service and Performance Goals: Ensure Dammert and St. Francis are meeting resident service and performance goals.
- Five or more years nursing experience, including geriatric nursing
- Three or more years in a supervisory position that involves managing a staff
- Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing and current licensure as a Registered Nurse by the Illinois State Board of Nursing
- Professional understanding of the person-centered care model
- Leadership skills and the ability to effectively manage a nursing staff
- Must possess a passion for working with, and on behalf of, older adults
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, exercises good judgment and assumes responsibility for producing excellent work and meeting timelines
- Strong team-player mentality. This position works closely with every department on campus and will need to coordinate with several departments at a time to execute successful life enrichment programming for all three levels of care
- Strong computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office applications, spreadsheets and being Internet savvy
- Charismatic leadership skills with the ability to lead by example, inspire, and serve as a role model to all nursing staff
- Experience working in a facility that focuses on memory care
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing or related medical field
- Does everything possible to honor residents, empower employees, and establish community partnerships
Maintain skills necessary to safely and efficiently operate the following equipment used in the performance of this job and be comfortable working in the following work conditions:
- Lifting residents, walking the halls, writing and responding to reports in the office, and communicating with a variety of stakeholders
- Operating all equipment and machines used for resident clinical care
- Fax machine, Photocopier, Personal computer and Printer
- Calculator and Cell Phone
- Work Conditions: resident care areas, offices, conference rooms
- Work Hours: Standard 40-hour week, in addition to “on-call” status, variable working hours (when needed), and additional hours beyond forty to ensure operational effectiveness and efficiency
- PTO TIme
- Medical & Dental Plan
- Short Term Disability
- 401(k) Matching
- Paid Holidays